Edited by Tim Marquitz and Tyson Mauermann
An Angelic Knight Press Production
The time has come to make a statement, to define a genre. This is our manifesto.
I’m looking for urban fantasy stories that leap from the pages, full of action, snark, and unadulterated badassery. Beyond a contemporary/urban setting, there are no thematic guidelines for this anthology. My goal is to challenge the kings and queens of the genre, to rattle the foundations of the UF world. If you think you have that story, I’d love to see it.
- Submissions should be between 3,000 and 5,000 words.
- Submissions open on January 15, 2013, and close at midnight, May 15, 2013. The anthology will be tentatively published on September 1, 2013, through Angelic Knight Press.
- Submissions and queries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payment is in the form of shared royalties (50% net electronic, 25% net print), all contracts through Angelic Knight Press.
- All stories must be typed in standard manuscript format, double-spaced, in a legible font (Size 12: Courier, Arial, Times New Roman), and must be either .doc or .docx file format. (Exceptions can be made for other formats that are easily opened and edited in Microsoft Word, but DO NOT send PDF, Notepad, or any other format that requires extra effort just for me to look at your submission.)
- Acceptances/rejections will be sent as time allows (expect some lag time), but the target range will be three to five weeks from submission date. Feel free to send a status query after the fifth week if you have not heard back.
- I will not limit topics, but stories that include rape, pedophilia, racism, or sexism simply for the shock factor will be rejected. If these topics are used in a way that blends them logically and faithfully within the theme of the story, I’ll gladly give the story a chance. I want quality story-telling.
- No reprints will be accepted.
- Multiple submissions ARE NOT allowed. Simultaneous submissions ARE allowed, but please inform me if your submission is being considered elsewhere, and be sure to let me know if it has been accepted somewhere else during the process. (After a rejection, authors are free to submit a new work for consideration.)
- Be warned: I will not have time to provide personalized rejections. If your story is something I enjoyed but feel needs a little work, I will say so and offer the opportunity to resubmit it. If your rejection does not offer such an opportunity, please, do not resubmit the same story as it will be rejected again without consideration.
- For published pieces, Angelic Knight Press takes first, worldwide electronic and print rights for a period of six (6) months from publication. As a shared royalty anthology, there is no guarantee of any specific payment amount. Be aware, all stories published in Manifesto: UF will be considered reprints after the fact and will limit future use and financial opportunities once the Angelic Knight Press contract expires.